Hormone Replacement for Male Andropause
What are Bioidentical Hormones?
The Endocrine Society defines bioidentical hormones as “compounds that have exactly the same chemical and molecular structure as hormones that are produced in the human body.”
Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy treats the symptoms of male (and female menopause, perimenopause and postmenopause).
Here is an overview of basic differences between conventional hormone replacement (HRT) and bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT):
|Hormones are identical to human hormones||No||Yes|
|Dosage customized for individual patient||No||Yes|
|Hormone balance goal of therapy||No||Yes|
|Primary goal is improved quality of life||Possibly||Yes|
|Primary goal is to prevent disease||Yes||No|
Until recently age-related male hormone changes had not been considered problematic because changes can be more subtle than in women and fertility persists in men through advanced age. More careful evaluation of male hormone changes reveals age-related changes in metabolism, nervous system, and endocrine functions. These changes generally begin in a man’s 40s-50s and are sign of andropause, the male equivalent to menopause.
What can you do about male hormone imbalance?
Optimal hormone health is dependent on a balance of hormones. Men with imbalances in androgen, estrogen, and progesterone can benefit from hormone replacement. Dr. Kevin Davison uses the following treatment regimen to balance hormones :
- Hormones are measured using blood, saliva and or urine testing to determine insufficiencies or deficiencies.
- Hormone balance is accomplished through accurate interpretation of labs, clinical findings and symptoms.
- To establish a balance, a combination of nutraceuticals and or bioidentical hormone extracts/implants will be used.
Why should I test my Hormones?
Saliva, blood, or urine tests are used to monitor hormone balance of male sex hormones (DHEA, adrostenedione, testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, estrone, estradiol, and progesterone) and activating hormones (FSH and LH). Collectively, these hormones provide an accurate metabolic profile that Dr. Davison uses to determine correct dosage. Testing hormone levels minimizes side effects and maximizes benefits by assuring the ideal balance of hormones for your body. Hormones can vary greatly between patients. An accurate profile assures an effective, specific treatment is delivered.
More information on the saliva test (most commonly used) visit male hormone panel.
Hormones delivery via subcutaneous implant has proven highly effective:
- Pellet implants deliver consistent, physiologic levels of hormones.
- Consistent physiologic levels maintain and improve bone density.
- Pellet implants bypass the liver and don’t negatively impact clotting factors, blood pressure, lipid levels, or liver function.
Pellet implants have consistently been shown to improve:
- Cardiovascular Health
- Sex Drive and Libido
- Headaches and Migraines
- Hot Flashes
- Mood and Depression
- Joint Aches and Pains
For more information on hormone implants please review the FAQ Pellet Implant document.
BHRT Implants are for you, if you are:
Middle-aged man with any of these conditions:
- Impaired libido
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Baldness and/or extremity hair thinning
- Fat accumulation around the waist
- Urinary problems such as pain, frequency or urgency—or interrupted stream
- Changes in sleeping habits
- Lack of enthusiasm for life
- Increase in bad cholesterol—decrease in good cholesterol
Young and with any of these conditions:
- Impaired libido
- Erectile dysfunction
- Early baldness
- Inability to lose weight
Still not sure if you are suffering from Male Andropause. Take the following survey provided by All Saints Clinic. Your score will help you understand if testosterone treatment might be an option.